- 50g/2oz or 1/4 cup pudding rice
- 25g/1oz/2 tbsp soft light brown sugar
- 50g/2oz/4 tbsp butter
- 900ml/1.5 pints or 4 cups milk
- a small strip of lemon rinds
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- fresh mint sprigs, to decorate raspberries, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 150'C/300'F /Gas 2, then butter a 1.2litre/2 pint/5 cup shallow baking dish.
- Put the rice, sugar and butter into the dish, stir in the milk and lemon rind and sprinkle a little nutmeg over the surface.
- Bake the rice pudding in the oven for about 2'/, hours, stirring after 30 minutes and another couple of times during the next 2 hours until the rice is tender and the pudding has a thick and creamy consistency.
- If you like the skin on top, leave the rice pudding undisturbed for the final 30 minutes of cooking (otherwise, stir it again). Serve hot, decorated with fresh mint sprigs and raspberries.
- Cook's Tips: Baked rice Pudding is even more delicious with fruits. Add some sultanas, raisins or chopped ready-to-eat dried apricots to the Pudding, or serve it alongside sliced fresh peaches or nectarines, fresh raspberries or fresh strawberries.