This beef bourguignon recipe makes 4 servings. It is a very simple recipe, but it takes quite some time, as we use a slow cooker. It takes 3 to 4 hours for the meat to marinate, then 8 to 10 hours to cook. The result is fantastic, so the wait surely pays off.
- 1 c. dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sliced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 2 pounds stewing beef
- 3 slices diced bacon
- 12 small white onions
- 1/2 pound small mushrooms
- 2 minced cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a mixing bowl, combine red wine, olive oil, onion, ground thyme, parsley, bay leaf and black pepper. Mix well and add the beef.
- Let the beef marinate for 3 to 4 hours, or overnight if refrigerated.
- Once marinated well, drain the meat but reserve the marinade.
- In a skillet, sauté the bacon. Remove the bacon and add the beef into the bacon fat then brown it.
- In a crock pot, combine the browned beef, bacon, mushrooms, garlic and onions. Cover with the reserved marinade.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
Good side dishes for Beef Bourguignon are roasted potatoes, mashed potatoes, noodles, and rice. As for beverages goes, red wines are amazing, some suggestions: Château de Pizay Morgon, Domaine de la Meynarde Plan de Dieu, La Bastide Blanche Bandol and The Wine Selection Dao.
Image author: Alan C.